Monday, February 8, 2010

Meat Free Mondays

OK, so I'll preface this post with stating I'm 100% aware this has absolutely nothing to do with weddings, events or any kind of stationery or paper product. I did want to post about it though considering my own personal stance on global warming, as well as how it's an important part of Invite Couture's business model to be as green as humanly possible.

I love Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop newsletter and the one that went out this past week really interested me, so I wanted to share it. It talked about a new initiative called Meat Free Mondays. Meat Free Mondays is a movement to educate people about the environmental, climate-changing impacts of the factory farming industry, specifically with meat production. A quote from the organization's website notes:

"Many people are unaware that livestock production is responsible for 18% of global greenhouse gas emissions – that’s more than the entire transport sector."

The thought is if everyone chose to eat at least one meat free meal a week, it could make a huge impact on global warming. I love that this approach doesn't preach that everyone should become a vegetarian, which I honestly do not believe is for everyone, but instead give the idea of how one small sacrifice a week can make such a huge difference in our lives and future generations.

If you still don't think you could give up meat even just for that one day a week, I highly recommend watching the now Oscar nominated documentary Food Inc. At minimum it helps to know where you're food comes from (both livestock and produce) so you can make the choices right for yourself and your family.

What do you think of Meat Free Mondays? Will you and your family participate?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin