Friday, January 8, 2010

Bad Choice First Dance Wedding Songs

When planning my own wedding with my husband, we were probably most excited about picking the music. Everything from the procession music to our grand entrance song, and most importantly our first dance song.

The first dance is such an important part of your wedding. For us, it was important to us to not pick a quote unquote "traditional" song. We have a very eclectic taste in music and we wanted to showcase this at our wedding. The only thing not working in our favor is we listen more to the music and not necessarily the lyrics of any song.





After much discussion, the two of us were so excited to choose "Head Over Heels" by the ever so fabulous 80's band Tears for Fears. We loved the into of the song and thought it would make a perfect entrance, with us then launching straight into the first dance. My friends and family on the other hand had different options of this.

Apparently being we never really listened to the lyrics and there is some sketchy stuff said towards the end of the song that could be interpreted a number of different ways. Here's the lyrics:


I wanted to be with you alone and talk about the weather
But traditions I can trace against the child in your face
Won't escape my attention
You keep your distance with a system of touch and gentle persuasion
I'm lost in admiration, could I need you this much
Oh, you're wasting my time, you're just, just, just wasting time

Something happens and I'm head over heels
I never find out till I'm head over heels
Something happens and I'm head over heels
Ah, don't take my heart, don't break my heart
Don't, don't, don't throw it away (Throw it away...Throw it away...)

I made a fire and watching it burn (yeah) Thought of your future
With one foot in the past now just how long will it last
No, no, no, have you no ambitions, oh (What's the matter with...)
My mother and my brothers used to breathing clean air
(Nothing ever changes when you're acting your age)
And dreaming I'm a doctor
(Nothing gets done when you feel like a baby)
It's hard to be man when there's a gun in your hand.
(Nothing ever changes when you're acting your age) Oh, I feel so…

Something happens and I'm head over heels
I never find out till I'm head over heels
Something happens and I'm head over heels
Ah, don't take my heart, don't break my heart
Don't, don't, don't throw it away

And this is my four leaf clover
I'm on the line, one open mind, this is my four leaf clover

(La la la la la, la la la la la, la la la la la la)
(La la la la la, la la la la la, la la la la la la)
(La la la la la, la la la la la, la la la la la la)
(La la la la la, la la la la la, la la la la la la)
(La la la la la, la la la la la) In my mind's eye (la la la la la la)
One little boy, one little man (La la la la la, la la la la la)
Funny how...TIME FLIES!!!

My mother in particular didn't take to well to the line "it's hard to be a man with a gun in your hand". I kinda saw her point. Also, he's pleading the girl not to break his heart. Not exactly the most romantic song, huh?

So we quickly went back to the drawing board and decided on the Ronettes "Be My Baby", of Dirty Dancing fame. We took dancing lessons and learned to Samba, which definitely made for a memorable first dance for both me and my husband and our guests. We received so many compliments on our song choice throughout the evening from our guests.


Don't make the same (almost) mistake my husband and I almost made and do yourself a favor by not picking one of the below songs. These songs are known for people thinking they are "in the moment" love songs, but google the lyrics and you'll be surprised.

  1. Every Breath You Take- The Police a.k.a the stalker song
  2. I Will Always Love You- Whitney Houston a.k.a the breakup song
  3. My Heart Will Go On- Celine Dion- a.k.a the singing to my dead boyfriend song
  4. Lips of an Angel- Hinder- a.k.a the cheating boyfriend song

What do you think? Was my husband and my first choice wedding song a bad one? What other bad wedding songs have you heard/thought of?


1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about this one a lot lately just because I, too, want a great first dance song and hopefully an awesome first samba or rhumba. We'll see how René takes to dance lessons. I have a few ideas but they end up being better procession songs than dancing songs.

    sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin